Tuesday, March 3, 2009

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH SOUR CREAM SAUCE from Beth

So I used to work at On the Border...since then I've been trying to find a recipe that would match their Chicken Burrito. In my search, I stumbled upon this enchilada recipe. I've made it two or three times and it has become one of my favorites. It makes a lot of food for two people so I prefer to make it if we are having people over to eat with us.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil (I use cooking spray to saute the onions.)
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I use a couple of cans if I want to save time.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
12 corn tortillas ( or flour...I prefer flour)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups sour cream
1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

The Filling:
Sauté the onion in the oil just until softened. Add the shredded chicken, sprinkle with the salt, and toss to combine. Set aside and allow to cool. Add the shredded Monterey Jack Cheese and mix thoroughly.

Place an equal amount of the chicken mixture on each of the 12 tortillas, roll them up and place them, seam side down, in the baking dish. (I usually spray each side of each tortilla with cooking spray to soften them up a bit.)

The Sauce:
Over medium heat in a saucepan, melt the butter, add the flour, and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for a minute or so. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, and cook until mixture thickens and bubbles. Reduce the heat, or remove from the burner, and stir in the sour cream and green chiles. Do not allow sauce to boil, but gently heat through.

Pour the sauce evenly over the tortillas in the dish, and bake for 30 minutes at 375°F. Make sure that each tortilla is completely covered in sauce to prevent them from browning too much. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and serve hot.

Makes four servings , three enchiladas each.

I like to serve this with spanish rice!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Chicken Enchilada with Sour Cream Sauce recipe. We are having a Cinco de Mayo party this Saturday night and wanted the On The Border style Chicken Enchiladas so we were glad to find your recipe. They sound great!

    Ross & Tonya Johnson
    Rapid City, SD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping this recipe up. We love this dish!

    ReplyDelete